Wednesday, August 15, 2012

NOIR CITY CHICAGO 4

This weekend kicks off the fourth annual NOIR CITY CHICAGO, hosted by my friends at the Film Noir Foundation and the good folks at the Music Box Theatre. If you're anywhere nearby from August 17th through August 23rd don't miss your chance to see rare and wonderful classic film noir on the silver screen.

This year has another great line up. Some of my can't-miss-recommendations:

PHANTOM LADY- Certainly, one of my favorite film noirs. Gorgeous Ella Raines tries to track down the mystery woman who can clear her boss of a murder charge. Directed by Robert Siodmak (who gets my vote for the greatest of all noir directors) and co-stars everyone's favorite little creep, Elisha Cook Jr.

99 RIVER STREET- Another of my absolute favorites. Ex-boxer turned cabbie John Payne endures a long dark night of the soul in which he's framed for the murder of his no good wife. Features great supporting work by Evelyn Keyes, Peggie Castle, and Brad Dexter. Noir doesn't get much better than this. You can read my full review of the film.

CAUGHT- One of the oddest noirs on record. Barbara Bel Geddes marries a Howard Hughes-like millionaire played by Robert Ryan in full tilt psycho mode. The ending, which I cannot give away, is one of a kind. Beautifully made and acted--one of the great unheralded films by director Max Ophuls. You can read my full review of the film.

That's just a taste of the offerings available over the next week. Go to the Music Box Theatre website to learn more about films and showtimes.

    

No comments: